Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No Excuses

So today was DEVON..Day One: and, also, more importantly show three for La Grange.

All in all, I was very happy. Extremely happy. However, the boss was not. Why? Well I guess I have been thinking too much a long the lines of 'excuses'. What exactly... well using the excuse that it was our third show ever, or using the excuse that all he has ever done until 3 weeks ago was fox hunt and go to the races to outride. So, now those excuses where wrapped up in a small figurative little bag and thrown out the window, somewhere on Sugartown Road as we left to go home this morning.

One would think that those 'excuses' sound pretty legitimate.. they are, if you were on any other horse besides La Grange. He is a goofy little man, when he isn't busy eating or playing in the field with his friends, and you look at him and his crooked blaze and his floppy ears, you can't help but look into his eyes and see an old soul. He is such a kind hearted horse. He walked into the ring at Devon, couldn't care at all, acted like this was his job.

From my place in the jockeys seat he felt like he jumped fantastic. I could feel him take a little step back at the size of the jumps. Usually we go in a class that is one level smaller to get a feel for the jumps and the lines, but not at Devon. Remember Devon 'Where Champions Meet' ? So, cold turkey jump the jumps, go clean and jump off... ummm not so easy.

With the slight hesitance that I was feeling I started to ride with my reins a little loose, loosing the 'frame' that we had been carrying so well, and I tried to give him a confident and free ride around the course... that lead to a couple rails down and a green ribbon.

So again, what was so bad about all that you say? Well, I wasn't on just any horse, I was on La Grange, and that's what I need to keep in mind. I decided to remember this as well, "Veni, vidi, vici" and know that we, La Grange and I, can do anything. We are on the path to greater things, and that's far better than being on no path at all!

We ride tomorrow at Devon at 9am - wish us the best!

Cheers for now - Priscilla

1 comment: